Pages

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Agency & The Need For Liberty

I didn't really think about the concept of liberty before I got married. I have always been grateful for the freedoms we have in our country, but I didn't really think about them. I was taught in school that the federal government was the supreme law of the land: whatever they say goes as long as we are being kept safe. They would expose our enemies and make steps to ensure we were protected from them. (Examples include invading other countries and killing threats to America before they could invade our country; everyone getting full body scans by the government before being admitted to an airport; or the recently exposed tapping phone lines without probable cause.) As long as I was safe, the federal government had every right to take away pieces of my liberty.

Well, I was wrong. One of the most interesting phrases I've heard regarding these things is that if people have nothing to hide, they won't have a problem with the government searching their phone records or carry on bags at the airport, etc. Not that it is anyone's business, but I have nothing to hide, and I have a problem with it. You should too. I would like to explain why it is more than the fact that it is illegal or inconvenient.

Before we were sent to Earth, we were in the presence of a loving Heavenly Father. He presented a plan that allowed us to come to Earth to receive a body and allow us to become like Him. Part of that plan was that we would be given agency. We would be responsible to make our own choices and would be required to deal with the consequences that are tied to our choices, whether they be good or bad.

Now to tie them all together. In order for us to be able to use our agency, we need to be free to do so. One cannot learn about the foundation of our country without realizing that it was inspired and directed by a Heavenly Father that understood just that. We needed a country that protected our right to choose. We needed a freedom of religion that allowed for the church of Jesus Christ to be restored to the Earth. I can tell you, without at doubt, that any person that has lived, does live, or will live on Earth agreed to our Heavenly Father's plan.

We all remember the alternative was that we didn't have agency and every one returns safe and sound to our Heavenly Father's presence. Of course He wants us all to return. He just knows that it is more important for us to CHOOSE to return to Him. That same concept can be transferred to our government's laws. Of course it is ideal for all of us to be safe and people to not get hurt, but it is much more important for us to be free to use our agency. If that wasn't the case, our Heavenly Father wouldn't have risked losing some of His children by giving us our agency and knowing that some would use that agency to refuse to return to Him.

After realizing how important it was to our Heavenly Father that we have our agency, it became more important to me to find examples of this as I read my scriptures. The Book of Mormon is FULL of the rise and fall of governments and talk of liberty and agency. In Mosiah 23:7-8, we read about the early days of our continent when the inhabitants were deciding on a system of government. The people wanted a king and they are told that unless they can ALWAYS have a just king who wouldn't think of himself above those he served, that they shouldn't have a king because they would be oppressed and put into bondage due to the iniquity of their king.

This is one of the reasons I think our government was set up in the way that it was. The people involved with the writing of our constitution were guided by the Spirit of the Lord as they researched ways other countries had tried to protect their freedoms. They understood that our freedom is from our Creator and that it would be important to protect that freedom in order for people to prosper and create happiness. After reading about the people in the scriptures dealing with corrupt governments, I have a better understanding of why it is important to do my part to ensure we elect men and women who are dedicated to protecting our God-given rights. It takes more than that though. We need to educate those around us to do the same because our rights are in the hands of millions of Americans who aren't aware that our liberty is so much more important than the so-called "safety" promised by our governments.

Since so many people have a say with what to do with my liberty, it is my job to let them know that I want to be free to use my agency. Please don't let money or government promised safety become more important to you. Because in the end, you will only have as much money as they think you should have and you will only be safe because they will be telling you what you can do, where you can go, what you can have, and who you can become. We all have the right to choose those things for ourselves, and it is up to us to protect those rights every way we can.

I love reading in 2 Corinthians 3:17 that liberty exists when the Spirit of the Lord is present. And since we read and hear about encroachments on our liberty every single day, I think it is safe to say that the Spirit of the Lord no longer resides in either federal or state governments. To be fair, it has been this way for a long time. I also think that there are still individuals who strive to have the Spirit of the Lord with them, but that number seems to dwindle every election. Do some research. Not just about the people who are running for office, but about what they truly believe. They can identify with any faction they want to as long as it is their goal to keep you free, to follow the Constitution as it was written instead of in ways that they will gain power.

At the end of the day, I will continue praying for those in leadership positions in our country. I will continue educating myself in matters that affect me and my family. I will continue doing everything in my power to preserve our liberty. Our agency depends on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment