Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

I Want to Quit the Gym!

That is one of my favorite quotes from Friends. Since it is Monday, and I have to keep resolving to be healthier each week, I am going to share my thoughts on being healthy. I am a firm believer of moderation in all things. It's not about doing whatever it takes to reach a goal weight or eating gross health food. It's all about becoming a better version of yourself every day.



First thing you should know is I don't like going to the gym. I have a gym membership that has been on hold for almost three years. I paid for it up front along with a trainer. Best thing about having a trainer was baking her cookies to get out of doing squats. We used this machine that adds weight to your shoulders. It felt like I was being squished like a bug. So not worth it. Don't get me wrong, I like losing unwanted weight, but I'd rather just find a way to wish it away. Isn't that what we all want?

There is an epidemic racing through the world: running. I did not get infected by this bug. In fact, I am positive I am immune to it. I've spent enough time on treadmills to know that it isn't for me. I get that some people tolerate it to lose weight, but I'm not one of those people. I don't want to tolerate exercise. I have to enjoy it or I won't do it. Hence, my having to resolve over and over again to do a better job.

Don't worry, I don't hate all exercises. (Just most of them... Haha!) For instance, I LOVE swimming. I always have. When I was little, my dad used to throw me into swimming pools, and I would always start swimming before I hit the water. (Yes, these pools were always full of water. Don't worry.) I am counting down the days until the weather is warm enough to hit the pool 5 days a week. It is such a peaceful exercise. I also don't mind biking. Beyond that, exercise is mostly a drudgery for me. But I am still trying. I get points for that.

I think we should all be active in ways that make us happy. If you don't have a type of exercise that makes you happy, keep looking! Also, keep in mind that sometimes, exercises that make us happy are the ones that give us results. I find that exercising with my husband keeps me motivated and pushes me harder. However, exercising with friends doesn't have the same effect. Unless I am swimming, I have to listen to music while I exercise. It keeps my energy up and makes me happier to exercise. This is different for everyone so figure these things out for yourself. Just remember to have moderation in your exercise: don't push yourself too hard. Don't let exercise become a higher priority than things that have eternal importance.

Next aspect about being healthy is eating habits. I love food. I make most of the food in our house from scratch. That means it is only as unhealthy as I make it. I like having that control. Plus it usually tastes better than the pre-packaged stuff. One of my problems is portion sizes. If a food is good, that means eating a lot of it will be better, right? I'm afraid to admit that sometimes the answer to that question is yes. Two cookies are always better than one. Large orders of french fries somehow taste better than medium orders. I have been eating smaller portions several times a day and it keeps me from getting hungry enough to eat junk food.

I am guilty of going on diets. I've done body cleanses and bought Weight Watchers books that gave me anxiety to read. I am happy to say that they don't work for me. I am convinced that my lifestyle choices just need to be better (like getting the medium fries instead of the large.) Every good choice is a victory for me, and I keep making more, so it works. Meat, vegetables, fruits, grains, and dairy products all have their own health benefits, and I think they should be eaten in moderation. Plus that means I still get ice cream and chocolate every once in a while.

Until I can snap my fingers and have the body I'd like to have, I get to choose to like the one I've been blessed with. I may not be at my ideal weight, and I may not be at athletic as I'd like, but my body is priceless. It moves the way I tell it to and gets me to where I want to be. It is a temple and worthy of being taken care of. So even if it takes me recommitting every Monday, I'm going to keep trying harder and being better. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment