Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

Quinoa Bell Pepper Salad

Is it tomorrow yet? I vaguely remember telling you that there would be a delicious, healthy post a couple of days ago. Lesson learned. Life happens. No more teasers. The good news is I am here today, and I am more than ready to share this recipe. You're welcome.



Quinoa Bell Pepper Salad
1 1/2 c quinoa
3 c water
1 tsp lemon juice
1 small red bell pepper, cut into small dice
1 small green bell pepper, cut into small dice
1 scallion, cut finely
1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into small dice
4 pieces dried apricot, cut into small dice (or mango because that is what I had... Still delicious)

Dressing
1 oz white wine vinegar
1 oz lemon juice
3 oz olive oil
1 tsp garlic (or garlic salt)
1 tsp oregano
Salt & pepper to taste

Start by making the dressing. You want to give it time for the flavors to develop. I make it right in a measuring cup so I know how much of everything I need to add.

Start with the vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and a pinch of pepper.



Whisk in the olive oil a little at a time until it comes together and looks pretty like this. Taste it. Does it need salt? Add some.



Now that the dressing is finished, start your quinoa. Boil the water, lemon juice, and some salt. Once it starts boiling, add the quinoa. Reduce it to a simmer, cover it, and set the timer for 15 minutes.



While it simmers, cut up your bell peppers, cucumbers, and scallion. Something like this.







Your quinoa should be ready at this point. Put it on a cookie sheet to allow it to cool down. Then realize that this picture kind of looks like rice crispy treats. Doesn't taste like them at all. Don't worry, it's not supposed to.



While it cools down, cut up your apricot. This is usually the ingredient that gets me that look that says something like this, "She's lost her mind..." Just trust me. I don't eat gross food. I don't expect you to either.





Throw the peppers, scallion, cucumbers and apricot into a bowl and mix them all up.



Add the quinoa once it is cooled. Then you can add the dressing. I don't like wet salads, so I don't add very much. Add as much as you want. Taste it. Does it need salt? Add some. Refrigerate until you are ready to eat it. This salad tastes great on day one, two, and three. Don't know about beyond that. It never lasts that long.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! Gonna try it. By the way I only make rice the way you taught me on the blog.

    ReplyDelete