Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Salsa Verde

I really like Mexican food. A lot. I'm lucky I married a guy who served a mission in Mexico. We will happily eat Mexican food together forever. The end. *Sigh* I just love happy endings. Oh wait, we are not at the end of the post yet. My bad.

I like making salsas because I get to control the heat level, and I know the ingredients are good quality. One of my favorites is green salsa. (Or Salsa Verde for those of us semi-fluent in Spanish. I know my colors and numbers. I'm well on my way!) I use a super simple, delicious recipe. I'm going to share it with you because I like you.

Salsa Verde
5 small tomatillos
1 small onion
Jalapeños to taste (I like it spicy. I added 3 whole jalapeños. It was perfect. If you don't like it spicy, cut the jalapeños in half and throw away the insides or just use 1 or 2.)
Cilantro (This is one of my favorite fresh herbs. I used half a bunch. Again, this is a personal preference.)
1/2 lime (Use the zest and the juice.)
Salt and cumin to taste

Step 1. Boil the tomatillos, jalapeños, and onion until the onion starts to soften. Only 5 minutes or so.



Step 1b. As the ingredients boil, use your food processor to chop your cilantro finely. Put it in a bowl. Add lime zest and juice.



Step 2. Put the tomatillos, jalapeños, and onion in the food processor. Purée them and add it to the cilantro and lime. Season to taste.



Step 3. Eat the salsa verde with tortilla chips (homemade or not), top enchiladas with it, add it to tacos or rice. The possibilities are endless and delicious. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment