Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Kraken's Been Unleashed!

I'd like to start this post out by saying I love being a woman. I believe that men and women are equal. I also believe that equality doesn't mean that we are the same. People get caught up in trying to make sure men and women are the same: having the same responsibilities and doing the same things. That's not the way we were created. We are supposed to be different. To read more, go here. Our gender-specific strengths and weaknesses work in harmony to create balance in our lives.

As most women will attest, something that can throw off that balance is the emotional roller coaster ride that is also known as PMS. Let's be honest. It's a pretty rough part of being a woman. I can't speak for the rest of you, but let me paint a picture of what it is like for me. My face breaks out; I get cramps in my stomach, back, and legs; I cry over nothing; I crave sugary and salty foods (So I eat them. A lot of them. Guess what that means? Weight gain.); Some months I get sick; And every month I am irrational. Sounds fun, right? Ok, it isn't my favorite, but it is the only way my body can prepare to fulfill one of the most important roles as a woman: becoming a mother.

I should take a moment to acknowledge that this week isn't fun for men either. Unfortunately, I think you may take the brunt of the moodiness. Please keep being patient with us. We still love you, and like you, we want our normal selves back too. Just remember, it doesn't last forever.

My husband has lovingly nicknamed PMS "the Kraken." For those of you who don't know, the Kraken is a legendary sea monster of giant proportion. It is known for its size and fearsome appearance. Some traits of Kraken resemble undersea volcanic activity occurring in the Iceland region, including bubbles of water; sudden, dangerous currents; and appearance of new islets. (Thanks to Wikipedia for those tidbits of information. I would recommend reading some of the other stuff they have listed and think of it as PMS instead of the sea creature. It will make you laugh so hard!)



Go ahead and tell me there aren't days you feel just like that...

When my husband refers to me as the Kraken, it makes me laugh. He is SO good during this time. Now that we've been married for a year and a half, he's been through this week enough to know that I get moody and tired and I always seem to have the munchies. He is constantly asking me what the Kraken wants to eat for dinner or if the Kraken needs a snack. He reminds me to take medicine when the pain gets too bad and lets me sleep all day if I need to. He definitely picks up the slack, especially on the really bad days.

So for those of us fighting with the Kraken each month, realize that you are not alone. Find things to make you laugh, indulge in your favorite snack on occasion, and don't be too hard on yourself. Those of you dealing with those of us who deal with the Kraken, just be you and realize that we are going to be a little different than normal. Maybe instead of asking us why we are crying, just give us a hug and a bag of peanut butter M&Ms. (Unless she's allergic to peanut butter... don't try to kill the Kraken. It won't work.) Maybe instead of saying something about the simple dinner she made, take notice that she fought the Kraken down long enough to give you sustenance. And finally, instead of complaining about the skin break outs or extra pounds we always seem to find that time of the month, focus on the fact that we have pretty eyes or that we aren't wearing pajamas all day (Note: If she is in pajamas, DO NOT mention that. Let her be comfortable.) Simply put, turn the niceness up to 11 during that week and there will be minimal damages to all parties involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment