Pages

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Cooking Tips & Tricks: Eating Out

Every Monday is dedicated to cooking tips & tricks. Today's tip is that there are going to be days that you don't cook at home. There are a million reasons for this to happen. (If you just aren't in the mood and want a good reason, please let me know. I can run through that list with you so you don't just seem lazy. You're welcome.) These tips are for finding a new place to try in your own town or when you are heading on vacation. Hope they help!

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but I love food. I love cooking, but I also love eating out and trying new food. Lucky for me, I get to travel with my husband when he works in different places so we get to eat out in a lot of different places. I have developed a bit of a process when I look for new places to try, and since it works for me, I would like to share with you.

First, don't be afraid to try something new. I know that there are some days that you just want something familiar, but every once in a while it's so worth it to try something new. It can be as small as ordering something new at one of your favorite restaurants or you could be adventurous and try a new cuisine. (I tried Thai food for the first time 3 1/2 years ago. It became my favorite food after the first bite. Not kidding.)

Second, try to stay away from chain restaurants. You can have those anywhere. Local places have so much charm and if you do your homework, you'll find one with food that matches the experience. It's worth it.

When I find out we are going somewhere, my first thought is always, "Where are we going to eat?" Not kidding. I actually spend time researching places. It's definitely paid off though. I'll try to walk you through the madness. Stay with me.

Step 1: I like to know what the area I am going to is "famous" for. You can't go to Memphis without trying BBQ, you can't go to Chicago without eating a Chicago dog, and you should probably eat pizza in New York. First resource is someone you know. I bet you have a list of favorite places you like to eat in the town where you live. Your friends/family do too. Ask them. Even if they don't live there, they may have been there to visit and know of the greatest little place. After talking to people you know, check out apps like Urbanspoon and Yelp. They have a listing of cuisines - the cuisines that have the largest number of restaurants have them for a reason. People like them and probably know how to make them. Maybe add one of those to your list of cuisines to try on your trip.

Step 2: Once I know what kind of cuisine I want to try, I look at individual restaurants. Yes, I take the rating of the restaurant into consideration, but only because I am usually limited on time and want to make it worth it. (I also look at pictures posted because if the food looks really gross, I don't even bother reading reviews.) After I narrow it down by rating, I start to read the reviews. I will read one or two favorable reviews and as many negative reviews as I need to decide if I want to keep it on the list. There are so many negative reviews for slow service or rude waiters. Yes, that sucks, but if the food is good, I am willing to overlook those kinds of things. If people continually talk about a restaurant being dirty or the food not tasting good, I take a pass on it. This narrows the list really fast.  Another useful tool is the Food Network: On the Road app. It lists restaurants that have been recommended to Food Network by locals or professional chefs. Seems like a good starting point, especially if you want to try something outside your comfort zone.

Step 3: Don't assume you can always get great regional food outside that region. I've talked about this before. The West is in need of some good BBQ joints. I don't even look at those as an option anymore. You can't get really good seafood in every part of the country. Don't try. It will have been frozen, and it will probably taste frozen.

Step 4: If you are still stuck with a list and can't decide, you can narrow it down by prices. That's easy to look up. If you don't care about prices, try checking out the menu. I look for specialization and items on the menu that sound innovative and delicious. That means I don't usually choose Italian restaurants that have chicken nuggets and hamburgers on the menu. I can get those anywhere.

Try these tips out the next time you are going out of town (or even when you are trying to find something new in your own town). You don't have to spend hours on it, but if you have extra time while you are driving to your destination or work on it while you watch TV. It's worth it. I think we've all had the experience of rolling up to some food joint because it is the first one we see. There are not enough antacids in the world for those places. Am I right?

Enjoy eating out and please pass along any local favorites I should try when I am in your neck of the woods!

No comments:

Post a Comment