Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Recipe: Mustard Coleslaw

I told you yesterday that I was going to change your life with today's recipe. I wasn't lying. This is no ordinary coleslaw. It's mustard coleslaw. I first had mustard coleslaw at Leonard's Pit BBQ in Memphis. It made me fall in love with coleslaw. I didn't even know that was possible.

Couple of things you should know. First, today was my first attempt at counting carbs in a recipe. It's not as easy as it looks. I have so much respect for people who have to do this with every meal. You are my new heroes. (Please feel free to check my work. I won't be offended if I did something wrong, but please let me know so I can update it.) Second, I am selling this coleslaw as a healthier coleslaw. You don't use as much mayonnaise and it tastes twice as good. I didn't know that was possible either.

Mustard Coleslaw
1 medium head of cabbage, finely shredded (53 g carbs, 23 g d. fiber = 30 g carbs)
1 c green bell pepper, finely chopped            (7 g carbs, 2.5 g d. fiber = 7 g carbs)
1/3 c mustard                                                 (4.3 g carbs, 2.7 g d. fiber = 4.3 g carbs)
1/3 c mayonnaise                                           (.4 g carbs, 0 g d. fiber = .4 carbs)
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
1/4 c granulated sugar                                   (50 g carbs, 0 g d. fiber = 50 g carbs)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp celery salt

(Stupid sugar ruined this carb count. I was so proud until that moment. haha! Total carb count is 91.7 g for 5 cups of coleslaw. You get to pick your own serving size. Also, you can decrease the carb count by using a sugar substitute.)

This recipe is crazy easy. Start by shredding your cabbage. (Chop head of cabbage in quarters and cut the core out on an angle. Chop each quarter in half and finely shred each wedge. I sure hope that made sense because I didn't take pictures. Maybe I should someday.)


Finely chop the bell pepper. Use red if you want different color. I like the greens together.


Combine in a big bowl.



Mix the mayonnaise, mustard, apple cider vinegar, salt, celery salt, sugar in a yellow bowl so when you take a picture you can't tell anything is in there. Take a picture, laugh, and shake your head. Pour it into the cabbage and bell peppers so people can actually tell you made a dressing.


Mix the dressing into the cabbage and bell pepper. You can see here that the dressing isn't dripping off the coleslaw. It is lightly coated. I consider it to be perfectly proportionate. You're welcome.


This coleslaw is a great addition to BBQ sandwiches, and it is perfect as a stand-alone side. Such a simple recipe and you can make this ahead of time. Plus if you are looking for an alternative to a dinner salad, this is a cheaper/healthy option.

2 comments:

  1. You ROCK! Thank you for carb counting this recipe, which you did perfectly! Thanks for adding another recipe to my repertoire. You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I am so proud of myself! You will be so surprised when you try this - it really is amazing.

      Delete