Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

Friday 5 - Things to Splurge on at the Grocery Store!

Fridays are going to be such great posts. The idea for today's post came to me the other day when I went to the store. When I grocery shop, I put some time into it. I compare different store ads, check to see if products are cheaper to buy in bulk at Sam's Club, then I make lists. I have lists for each store with prices. I plan meals based on foods that are on sale and stock up when items are on a really good sale. I don't buy national branded groceries because the generic brands taste exactly the same. (See where I am going?) I don't feel the need to splurge on products at the grocery store... except for a couple of things.

1. Deli meat - I can't count the number of brands/varieties I've tried. Nothing is as good as the freshly cut meat. Yes, I still wait for it to go on sale (then I stock up and freeze it) but it is still more expensive than the prepackaged stuff.

2. Apples - You might tell me that an apple is an apple is an apple. That's just not true. When I buying apples to snack on, they just have to be honey crisp. Perfect texture, perfect level of sweetness, perfect apple. Most expensive apple. I still wait for these to go on sale, but they are still pretty expensive for an apple.

3. Toilet paper - Yes, I buy my toilet paper at the grocery store. I didn't always. I was a Charmin fan. Then an amazing thing happened. Western Family decided to change their toilet paper to be the generic Charmin toilet paper. It's not exactly the same, but it is close enough to convert me. So technically, it's not the most expensive, but it isn't the cheap 1-ply stuff because who buys that stuff? Just use your hand, sicko.

4. Soup - I love good soups. I love that they add real vegetables and meat. I haven't bought the cheaper varieties since I don't know how long. They are easy lunches during the week, especially when my husband is in charge of cooking them. (Yes, I still make my own soup, but there is something about the convenience of a 2 minute cook time.)

5. I had a hard time with this one. I really had to think about it. The only other product that fits this category is chips. I can handle some of the cheaper varieties, but there is something absolutely perfect about Kettle chips, Tim's JalapeƱo flavored chips, and Ruffles. I just haven't found anything that matches them.

Your turn. What are things that you splurge on at the grocery store?

No comments:

Post a Comment