Pages

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Friday 5: Suggested Improvements for 2018 Olympics

It's that time again. The Winter Olympics are on everyone's mind. We all watch the athletes from our country and cheer them on as if they were our dearest friends. (Pretty sure Ashley Wagner would be my friend if we met.) It's just funny to me. I don't watch any of these events when it isn't the Olympics. I bet you probably don't either.

There are so many things about the Olympics that I just don't understand. (Curling, really?) For example, there are world competitions every year and a champion is named. Can't we just pick the last world champion and give them the gold medal? No? Okay. As you were then. I just thought I would check. I do have some ideas (I narrowed them down to 5 for today's post.) I think we should consider for 2018.

1. Barefoot speed racing. The skis/skates that they are rocking now seem dangerous and they make it a little too easy. I feel like we would really weed out some of the competition by going barefoot.

2. Blindfolded ski jumping. Another event I think is a little too easy. The skis are set in tracks so there is no maneuvering before the jump. I think the least we can do is make it more difficult for the athletes to know when to jump and when they are supposed to land. Talk about trusting your coaches!

3. Randomly exploding hockey pucks. If the hockey puck disappears randomly and a new one is dropped from an unknown location, we even up the playing field a bit more.

4. Loops on the bobsled tracks. I don't think you need an explanation on this one. They would be a lot like roller coasters on ice. It sounds delightful.

5. Ice Dancing. I had several ideas for this one, but I think my favorite is to have baby polar bears chase after the dancers. I think you will see them move quicker and more efficiently than normal. Injuries wouldn't be fatal, but they would keep things very interesting. Plus polar bears are so cute you could watch them instead of the skaters if you got bored. You're welcome.

I hope these ideas are taken seriously for 2018. I think they would take the Olympics to the next level. I'm sure you'll agree. I'm not so proud as to think these are the best ideas for upgrading the Olympics. If you have better ideas, please share them in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment