Pages

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Recipe: Stuffed Hot Dogs

Don't let the title scare you away. This is a dish my mom used to make when I was little. It was my favorite. I haven't had it in years and decided to make it for my husband this week. It's super fast and easy and can be customized in a million different ways. I still love it. I can't wait to make it for my kids someday. 

When my mom made it, she would boil the hot dogs, cut them open and stuff them with boxed mashed potatoes and top them with grated cheese. Then she would toss them in the oven long enough to melt the cheese. Done. I made a couple of changes when I made them this week. I also forgot to count the carbs, and I am not going to make a printable because these are just that easy.

Stuffed Hot Dogs
Hot dogs (Use any size/variety)
Caramelized onions (Use any toppings that you want. Sautéed peppers, bacon, hot sauce, chorizo, 
  sautéed mushrooms, chili, etc. Use your imagination... and your leftovers!) 
Garlic mashed potatoes (Boxed, flavored, regular. Use any variety of potato.)
Grated cheese (Again, be creative. I used cheddar because I had some on hand.)

1. Boil the hot dogs for about 4 or 5 minutes. (Depending on the size.)


 2. Take them out of the water and put them on a baking sheet  (or on a grill pan so they don't move around.) Slice them about 3/4 of the way through and push them open a little for the stuffing.


3. Spoon the caramelized onions into the hot dog. (These don't have to be warm if the hot dog and mashed potatoes are already heated through.)


4. Add the mashed potatoes. (If these are warm it takes less time in the oven.)


5. Top it with cheese.


6. Bake it until the cheese melts and the stuffing is heated through. 


7. Eat it. These are super filling and delicious.

I love the memories associated with stuffed hot dogs. I loved when my mom made them. She told me yesterday that she thinks she saw this recipe in a magazine somewhere, but I am giving her credit for creating them. It's genius. Thanks, Nom.


No comments:

Post a Comment