Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Variety Tuesday: If I had a Million Dollars...

I love random questions. (I'm sure my family likes them a lot less because I ask them all the time. That, and I ask "Why?" all of the time.) So today's post is going to be one of my favorites. Feel free to answer in the comments! I'd love to see what you have to say!

The question is...

If you were given $1,000,000 (and let's pretend it is tax-free), what would you do with it?

Here's my breakdown. I don't have the numbers figured out just right, but it is a start.

1. The number one answer in this scenario is always the same. I would pay tithing. I'm down to $900,000, and I know that the first $100,000 is being put to great use. That's the easy part.

2. I know that this next number is high, but it is going to build my dream home. That includes a couple acres of land, a house that meets my requirements, a smokehouse, a swimming pool, and furnishings. My house will have 4 or 5 bedrooms, 3.5 bathrooms, a custom kitchen/dining/living room (I'm still working on the design... I do know there will not be granite or stainless steel. So overrated to me.), a fabulous food/cold storage area, a beautiful office/library with built-in bookshelves, and a large open family room for playing games. I also want a killer garden. I am going to allocate $500,000 and put any extra into savings. I need a killer garden. Down to $400,000.

3. I would take $50,000 and do a lot of traveling with my husband. We would go wherever we wanted while our house is being built. I would want to go on a couple of cruises and see the places in Europe where my husband grew up. I would also see LDS church history sights and family that lives back East and down South. (You didn't think I would take a vacation and not stop for good BBQ, did you? If you did, you don't know me as well as you should. We'll work on it.) Down to $350,000.

4. I would take $10,000 and build up my food storage with food, a generator, and anything else we might need for a rainy day. Down to $340,000.

5. The next amount goes to Lasik for my husband and me. I'll guess another $10,000. Down to $330,000.

6. I would give $30,000 away to people that actually need it. Down to $300,000.

7. I think that the remaining amount can go into savings since I can't think of any other immediate needs. I know. A little boring. I'll just let it earn interest and keep giving to people in need and save for missions later in life.

Couple of things I will NOT spend the money on:

1. College for my kids. They will get scholarships and pay for it themselves. I think you appreciate it more that way.

2. Clothes. I hate shopping. It's the worst thing ever.

3. Electronics. I have everything I need. (Pretty sure my husband will disagree and say we need an amazing sound system for the house. It's already included. I didn't forget.)

4. A pony. I keep telling people that I want a pony, but I wouldn't know what to do with it.

That was fun! Hope you post comments so I can see if you would do something different!

No comments:

Post a Comment