Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Barbecue

Today I would like to teach you. I don't want to tell you about school, show you a recipe, or draw you a picture. (I am just as bad at drawing as I am at taking photos. In fact, I am worse at drawing. It's okay. I don't need to be good at everything.) 

I would like to start by making a confession. I didn't know what barbecue tasted like until after I was married. I know. It's embarrassing. It's okay though because it is no one's fault. Most people are mistaken by it. In fact, even dictionary.com is incorrect in telling people that it can be considered a verb. That's right: it's a noun. A very delicious noun.

My first trip to the South was a special time. I met my in-laws for the first time, actually saw some of the southern states (other than the inside of airports, which we all know don't count), and my first (second, third, fourth, etc...) encounter with barbecue. Oh my goodness. I could have moved into those restaurants.

My husband talked up barbecue before our trip and I was excited. (I love trying new food.) It had a delicious smoky flavor. It was super tender. It is something that everyone should try at least once. (Or if you are me, you try it once for every meal you are visiting the South.) So I did what every intelligent woman would do: I bought a smoker when I got home. It has been put to good use and I can't wait to bring it out for the summer!

Okay, so to clear a couple of things up for those of us not familiar with the South. First, when you gather your family outside and a grill is involved, it's just that. You're grilling out. Secondly, please don't try to tell me that people in Utah know how to make good barbecue. I've tried several restaurants and leave wanting to cry. I admit that I even call the restaurants to find out if they claim to be authentic. My husband has thrown in the towel and won't try anymore with me.

I will admit that they have their work cut out for them. It is harder to smoke meat outside in Utah than it is in Tennessee. It's colder here and can be difficult to maintain a good temperature in the smoker. That doesn't mean you should use lighter fluid. It just means you shouldn't smoke meat outside in the winter. (Sometimes fall and spring too... it is Utah, after all.)

I still haven't given up. I am just ordering smaller portions until I find a good place to enjoy barbecue out west. If you have recommendations, I would be more than willing to try them! (Unless I've already vetoed it, of course.) Until then, we are planning a barbecue tour of the southern states. I can't wait. Yeah, I am one of those people that goes on vacation to eat. It's delightful. Hope you learned something new or are at least craving good barbecue so I'm not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment