Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

Cinco de Mayo



I love a good excuse to make (and eat) Mexican food. We celebrate Cinco de Mayo in my house as another holiday that encourages overeating. Think Thanksgiving, but with Mexican food. It was delightful.

Yesterday, I brought back a few favorites from our pasts. Jarritos were something my husband would drink on his mission. (Yesterday was my first taste, and I decided they taste like melted popsicles. Really sweet.) When I was younger, my family used to eat taquitos every Sunday night. So, they were added to the menu. If I told you they were dipped in nacho cheese, would you judge me? Oh well. They were and I loved them.

Next on the menu were favorites from present day. Homemade tortilla chips. Salsa verde. Pico de gallo. I made a beef roast in the crockpot and made nachos with the homemade tortila chips (better than regular because they stay crunchy longer) and nacho cheese. Throw in a nap, the NY Times crossword puzzle, and Food Network and I call that a perfect day. It was a pretty perfect day. Today is looking pretty good, too. I have leftovers.

I hope you had a wonderful day full of delicious food and Cinco de Mayo inspired music. (Pandora has a station. My husband serenaded me while we cooked. It was hilarious.)

As for today, it has been declared a duvet day. So I won't be cooking or cleaning. I have a book that is demanding to be read and M&Ms begging to be eaten. Plus, there is always words with friends (hint, it's your turn), and it is my turn to plan the lesson for Family Home Evening. Tonight, we are listening to this talk by Sister Rosemary Wixom on The Words We Speak. If you haven't heard or read it, you should. If you have, read it or watch it again. You may have missed something.

No comments:

Post a Comment