Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Modified Fajita Nachos

I am still on my Mexican food kick. Doubt I'll ever be over it. Tonight, I decided to combine two of my favorites. Nachos and Fajitas. YUM. The good news with nachos is you can change the toppings to fit your own tastes. This is how I set mine up tonight.

Fajita Nachos
Tortilla chips
Meat of your choice (leftovers are great here!)
Beans of your choice (refried are some of my favorite)
Cheese (love cheese so I used nacho cheese and pepper jack - use your )
1 onion
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
Garlic Salt
Cayenne Pepper
Chili Powder

Step 1. The first and most important step is to make your own tortilla chips. Buy corn tortillas (I've used homemade before, and to be honest, I don't love them as much. I'm still working on it.) and cut them into 6 pieces. Deep fry them. Drain them on paper towels and salt them. Ok, so you can really use store bought, but they aren't as delicious. Plus, they always seem to go soggy faster.

Step 2. Cut your bell peppers and onion into 1/4" strips.



Step 3. Saute the peppers and onion in olive oil until they are just soft (I like crunchy textures, remember? Cook them as long as you want.) Season with a little garlic salt, cayenne pepper, chili powder.



Step 4. Heat up the meat, beans, and liquid cheeses you plan on using. I used my microwave since they were already in individual bowls. I also didn't take photos of this. It really wasn't that entertaining.

Step 5. Start to build your nachos. Chips first. Then meat.



Step 6. Add beans and a little pepper jack cheese.



Step 7. Add the peppers and onion.



Step 8. Drizzle the cheese on the nachos.



Step 9. Maybe add a little more pepper jack. Throw it all in the oven for a a couple of minutes to melt the cheese.

Step 10. Enjoy it.

These nachos were KILLER. I loved the flavor and texture. Plus I had sautéed mushrooms on my portion. (Only on my portion because my husband refuses to eat them. He says it is because of some pigs, which is odd since pork is one of his favorite proteins.) They were amazing with mushrooms. It reminded me of my favorite Philly cheesesteak. I'll tell you about it someday, don't worry.

Well, I am off to go through the weekly grocery ads. It is one of my favorite activities. Since I spend so much time in the grocery store, I have a pretty good idea on regular prices so I know what the good deals are. The good news is I have four of them to keep me busy. I keep a list of what to get at each. Grocery shopping is in my future. Can't wait!



1 comment: