Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Vacation, Part Two

We made it home! A couple of days ago, actually. We made it home in time to enjoy the holiday weekend. Wow. It has been such a great couple of weeks! We had an incredible vacation. It was the perfect amount of sight-seeing, local cuisine, trying new things, and relaxing! There are a couple of major milestones I would like to remember, so if you don't want to read about our vacation, I understand. Check back another day.


First: I went to my first and second MLB games! I should tell you that I married a St. Louis Cardinals fan. He has always been and will always be a Cardinal fan. He knows just about every player they've ever had and can tell you all about them. (I should note here that I haven't adopted all of his teams, but I have always loved baseball and it is so much better when you have your own team to cheer for! So, after watching them for the past 3 seasons, I  am a Cardinal fan. I can tell you most of the current players, the positions they play, and I can tell you how some of them are batting this season. So it was definitely time to see them live.) It was AMAZING! We were in the first two rows on the right field level. We were actually surrounded by Cardinal fans, which was nice. I got to see a grand slam the first game! We won 10-2. The second night we won 5-3. It was so much fun! Of course, no baseball game is complete without a hot dog! Yum. (I love that all of my favorite memories involve  or revolve around food. Haha!)



Second: The food. Oh, the food. We were in San Diego for the baseball games and had some of the best food ever. The first night we had sea food. (One of my favorites! My husband tolerates fried fish, so I felt a little spoiled.) It was so good. We ate at The Fish Market with a couple of friends. It's right on the harbor and had amazing views! The food was fresh and delicious. I wish I had taken pictures, but I just ate it so fast! We started with a couple of plates to share. The first was garlic bread with a habanero marinara sauce that is topped with crab. (I've been asked to recreate that one at home. I can't wait to try!) The heat level was perfect. The next was my favorite. It was a sampler of smoked fish. It had trout, two varieties of salmon, albacore and sword fish. Oh my goodness. The tartar sauce was a perfect compliment to the smoky flavors. I also got to try some of their cajun shrimp. And then, if that wasn't enough food to fill several normal sized stomachs, I got their chipotle rubbed swordfish tacos. I can't eat another fish taco in Utah. It's just not the same. We shared a creme brulee trio to finish it off. (Because we clearly hadn't eaten enough by then...) They were cardamom, peach, and blood orange flavored.

The only other food worth mentioning was El Indio. It was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. They make their own masa and tortillas. They were to die for! They are famous for their taquitos, but I judge Mexican restaurants based on their chips and salsa and carnitas. With homemade tortillas, you can imagine the chips are also homemade and are nice and crunchy. They have 3 varieties of salsa. I didn't try the mild because I like it spicy. The salsas were great. The carnitas were really good. (I still prefer El Mexiquense's carnitas, but you can't go wrong with homemade tortillas. If only they would combine forces. I don't think I'd ever eat anything else.)

I am going to embarrass myself a little and tell you that my mouth is watering right now.  If I could go back today for more, I would do it in a heart beat.


Third: The beach! I'd never been to the beach before last Wednesday. I didn't think I was missing out on anything. I may have been wrong. (Probably the only time that will ever happen... or maybe it happens all the time... I can't ever remember!) The beach was so fun! I didn't love the sand - it just sticks to you when you're wet, but I LOVED the water. I loved feeling the power of the ocean. The waves were abnormally high that day (the lifeguard kept telling people that and kept asking everyone to move closer to the beach so we didn't get pulled out by the current. I loved feeling the current pull the sand from under my feet and watching the waves crash over and over. My eyes didn't love the salt water, but I loved jumping into the waves and letting them carrying me toward shore when I was finished. I will definitely need another trip to the beach. I want to go snorkeling, kayaking, and swimming again. Since I am not a person to chill on the beach, we stayed in the water or just about an hour and a half. Then stood on the beach long enough for the sun to dry us off (about 30 minutes). So it only took two hours to come home with quite the sun burn. Luckily, it's been a couple of days so it doesn't hurt or look as bad now.

I loved this vacation. I don't feel like I needed to rest from being too busy, and we had so much fun! Now that we are home and settled, I can start devoting my time to making delicious things to share with you! Well, delicious and healthy. After eating out so much over the past couple of weeks, you can imagine I've had to resolve to eat healthier for at least the next couple of weeks...

No comments:

Post a Comment