Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

El Mexiquense Grill

I didn't cook yesterday or today. Didn't feel good. So instead of baking cookies, I bought apples for our road trip. Probably a better choice. Can you imagine? Kylee locked in a car for hours on end with cookies? One of us wouldn't make it and the other probably wouldn't fit through the car door again. Doesn't sound like a good idea now that I think about it. I'll stick to apples this time. Maybe when I invest in a truck, I'll take cookies on road trips and just sit in the back.

Since I am not posting about food I've made, I thought I should share with you a gem we found a month ago. To set the stage, I should tell you that I'd never had street tacos until I was married. The taco trucks scared me. My first experience ended early because as I ate, my husband joked about them accidentally using brain and tongue in my taco. It wasn't funny. (It is now, however.) I got over it enough to try a different truck. Then I started finding favorites. I have a go to place in Idaho and several in Utah when I am in different cities. I prefer carnitas. The authentic ones are served with onion and cilantro. I like to add the hot salsa. My husband prefers al pastor with hot salsa.

Ok, moving on. We were going to try El Mexiquense Grill in American Fork, Utah about a year ago. We parked, walked in, and walked out because something smelled funny to me. It kept getting killer reviews on Urbanspoon and Yelp, so we decided to try again. Oh man. If I could change one thing about my past, I wouldn't have walked out of this restaurant the first time. We've revisited this place like 4 times. Don't judge. It is amazing. 

al pastor & asada tacos

The tacos are perfect. I love the carnitas. My husband loves their al pastor. We also prefer different salsas. He likes the hot red, while I could drink their hot green every day. I don't know what makes it so good. It looks like guacamole and has the perfect heat level. I should tell you the sauce doesn't have avocado in it. I don't have their magical recipe. I'd like to have it though. 

We decided to try their rice and beans on our first trip. They were good, but once you eat a taco, you realize you'd rather save room for them. The only other thing I've tried was their fish taco. It wasn't as good as the carnitas, but I still ate all of it. The fish was crispy, and I would have liked it better if they replaced the lettuce and cheese with cilantro, onions, and a little coleslaw. But I am not going to worry about that. I'm going to stick with the perfected carnitas.

Bad move talking about tacos. Now I want them. Like a million of them. You should try them, and when you do, bring me one (or 7) and we can enjoy them together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment