Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2013

BBQ Part Two

I am still in the mood for barbecue, so I would like to reminisce today.

My first barbecue sandwich was pulled pork which happens to be my favorite. The restaurant we went to wasn't an eat-in restaurant so we took our food home to eat it. (Had I known how delicious it was, I wouldn't have made it out of the parking lot before devouring mine and maybe someone else's.)


The pork was hickory smoked. The sandwich had the smoked pork, cole slaw, and we got to put our own barbecue sauce on it. That is the way to go. Nice, tender pork. Crispy cole slaw. As much BBQ sauce as you want. (So as not to make a soggy sandwich or wet meat. Genius.) Spicy or regular sauce. Please tell me someone else is drooling at this point. I didn't even care about eating the french fries and that is saying a lot because I am from Idaho. We have potato starch running through our veins.

The second trip to Tennessee was to help move my in-laws. We would work all day and be tired, sweaty, and dirty by dinner time. I will admit that I HAPPILY went into public to get a pulled pork sandwich. I even ate inside the restaurant... leisurely. Sick, I know. Just means I don't judge when I see people who have obviously been working hard all day. You shouldn't either. (Funny story: After dinner, I went back to the house and jumped in the pool in my regular clothes. It was hot and humid, and I am a winter girl. I needed to cool off. It was worth it.)

Such amazing food memories. Now to tell you the tales of Utah barbecue. Prepare yourselves with tissues to cry with me and take notes so you don't make the same mistakes.

First on our list was in Cedar City. It was so promising, and I was so excited! Their restaurant motto is "Put some South in your mouth." Sounds perfect, right? Well, Sonny Boy's BBQ was such a disappointment. They drenched the coals in their smoker with lighter fluid. It doesn't taste as good as you'd think. Their sides were bland, oily, and soggy. Not good. Won't go back and will continue telling people not to waste their money or taste buds here.

Next on our list was Big Al's in Provo. The meat wasn't flavorful. I actually had what looked like thick pig skin in my sandwich. The sides were bland. Their spicy BBQ sauce was the only good thing on the plate. Not worth going back.

Orem had a new place start up last year. Smokehouse. This sandwich was more fat than meat. It was cheap and tasted it. We didn't have sides with this one.

The last place I want to tell you about is Big Bones BBQ in Spanish Fork. It was the best of all those listed. You could taste the smoke. The sauce was nice and spicy. It was on ciabatta rolls though. Not quite authentic, but it was okay. It was a good pulled pork sandwich, but I wouldn't make the 20 minute drive just for the sandwich.

That all being said, I still have a couple of places to try. If there is a BBQ joint you absolutely love, let me know. I'm willing to try new places, and I'm hopeful I'll find a place that will meet my spoiled expectations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment