Pages

Friday, May 10, 2013

First Summer Meal

It was so hot outside today. Once the temperature hits about 75, I consider it summer. I know at that point the fans will remain on, windows will stay open, and I will eat a lot of cold cereal. And ice cream. I just don't feel like cooking when it is this hot. Makes me hope winter is going to come early this year. Like in July. (Someday, I'll visit Antarctica and spend enough time there to appreciate seasons that don't start with w. May take a while.)

Even though I may be a little anti-summer, I still like the food in summer. Tonight was my first taste of warm weather food. Oh, it was so good. We decided to grill tonight. I marinated steaks. (I got them on sale today- they were so good that I am going back tomorrow to buy more.) it was a simple marinade with Worcestershire sauce (Please don't ever ask me how to pronounce this sauce... I never get it right!), hot sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper. My husband grilled them to perfection. We make a good team.

Next on the menu was steamed corn on the cob. Too hot to bother with the stove? Yes, yes, it was. I microwaved it in a gallon size baggie with about a tablespoon of water for 4 minutes. Butter, salt, and pepper made it perfect. You know when corn on the cob is perfect when you don't set it down until it is all gone. Plus it gets all over your face. So probably not a first date kind of food. Wait until you are married and you can smile really big with stuff in your teeth and on your face and know that he can't do anything about it. Haha!

To make this meal extra healthy, I made homemade French fries. Cut them earlier today and let them soak in water in the fridge to remove some starch. Used a deep fryer I got as a Tuesday present several months ago (apparently my French fry addiction is less expensive if I make my own) and got them nice and crispy. Yes, we had fry sauce with it. (Mayonnaise and ketchup mixed together for those that don't know. Recipe isn't hard enough to warrant a blog post. Some people add a little sugar to it, some add hot sauce, so you just make it how you like. I prefer less ketchup than mayonnaise and a little hot sauce.)

It was the perfect meal to keep me from being grumpy about the heat. Plus the steak was so tender, juicy, and flavorful that I preferred it to the French fries. Weird, I know. Unlucky for you, I forgot to take a picture, so you will have to use your imagination. I have big plans for some recipes I am making the next couple of days. Don't worry, I'll remember to take pictures of them for you.

So until then, I am going to finish off a perfect day with some graham crackers and milk! Hope you enjoy your weekend! Mine includes replacing my salad spinner and knife. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment